PRODUCT SAFETY RECALL: ASTRALPOOL GAS HEATERS.
ICI Gas Heater - Initial Startup Procedures
The ICI Gas Heater is the first of our Next Generation gas heating range. With the option of Natural or LPG gas, the ICI is available in 215MJ/h and 400MJ/h sizes with indoor and outdoor models to suit every pool owners needs. The ICI is also the only full-modulating mid-efficiency heater on the market, and comes factory-fitted with standard 2 PVC AstralPool connections for easy installation.
The guide below takes you step-by-step through the startup procedures you should undertake once your ICI has been successfully installed.
Final Installation Check:
To ensure your ICI has been installed correctly and will function properly, you need to perform basic operations to test the appliance. The following sections address the initial startup and shutdown of the ICI Gas Heater.
Note: This appliance does not have a pilot light. It is equipped with an ignition device, which automatically lights the heater. Do NOT try to light burners by hand. To be safe, we always recommend smelling the air around the appliance for gas, ensuring you check the floor as well (as gas is heavier than air and will settle on the floor).
What do I do if I smell gas?
1. Do NOT try to light any appliance.
2. Do NOT touch any electric switches; do not use any phone in your building.
3. Immediately call your gas supplier from a neighbour's phone.
4. Follow supplier's instructions.
5. If you cannot reach your gas supplier, call the Fire Department.
Use only your hand to flip the gas control switch. Never use tools. If the switch appears broken or will not move, don't try to repair it, call a qualified service technician. Force or attempted repair may result in fire or explosion.
Do not use this appliance if any part has been underwater. Immediately call a qualified service technician to inspect the appliance and to replace any part of the control system which has been underwater.
First-time Start-up Procedure:
Warning: Vent pipes and heater tops get hot! These surfaces can cause severe burns. Do not touch these surfaces while the heater is in operation. Should overheating occur or the gas supply fail to shut off, turn off the manual gas control valve to the heater. Do not attempt repairs on the gas controls or appliance. Tampering is dangerous and voids all warranties.
1. Confirm that pool water is flowing normally through the pool system and equipment.
2. If it is a new pool or spa installation, operate the filter pump with the heater off long enough to completely clean the water to remove any residue left from installation from the water.
3. Clean the filter before starting the heater.
4. Start the heater in either Pool or Spa mode.
5. Start the heater.
6. When the heater starts, confirm there is adequate water flow.
1. Turn the power on to appliance.
2. Turn heater thermostat on and set the water temperature to the desired setting.
3. Wait until the main burners ignite. If the gas has been recently connected, it may take a few ignition attempts to bleed gas from the gas fitting line.
The heater will proceed with the ignition sequence upon the following conditions being met:
- The heater is switched on.
- Measured water temperature is below 40 degrees Celcius.
- High limit cutouts are not tripped.
- The thermostat senses the water temperature is below the set point.
- Water pressure switch is closed indicating water in appliance.
Turning Off Gas To Your Heater:
1. Turn off all electrical power to the appliance.
2. Turn off the gas tap in gas line prior to the heater.
Shutting Down the Heater:
Turn the heater off by pressing the ON/OFF button.
Do NOT turn the filtration pump or circulation pump OFF for a period of 5 minutes to allow the gas heater to cool-down. Failure to cool-down the gas heater can result in damage to pipework and the activation of the Hi-Limits switches.
If you would like further assistance with your ICI Gas Heater, you can connect with hundreds of local experts using our Dealer Locator.